Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

August 17, 2012

Wow time flies when you are having fun!  I have been so busy with a new job working with the Columbus Hospitality Group doing purchasing and helping them to launch a new tortilla and tortilla chip line.

Since I have been immersed in tortillas, I thought that I should share my thoughts about Boston and Mexican cuisine.


Today, what is out in the market are corn tortillas made from pre-ground corn that could be months or years old and many preservatives to keep the tortillas pliable.  As a result, the tortillas have a plasticy flavor - can you really taste the corn? and is it normal that you can leave them out, open on shelves for months a no mold grows.  I know that
Growing up on the west coast, I was able to taste the true flavors and authentic tortillas of Mexico. I have been to downtown LA, watching women making tortillas by hand, but I had yet to find it in Boston or even really in New England. I happen to have fallen into the job I am currently in and I am so happy that I am involved in spreading and sharing the Mexican authentic traditions to New Engenders.
if mold don't like my food, then its not natural.

Here at Tortilleria La Nina,Humidity, temperature and timing all need to work in harmony to make the perfect tortilla. We soak and cook the non-gmo white corn kernels in filtered water and lime.  We hand carve volcanic stones that we use to grind the steeped corn; the process is known as Nixamalization.  Our masa (corn dough) is kneaded, rolled, and cooked to make the perfect tortilla.

Fun fact:
corn is hard to digest by itself.  When the Aztec washed and cooked their corn, they were doing so in the rivers that contained a lot of lime.  Lime helps to break down the corn to make it easier to digest for human consumption.  Tortilla making goes all the way back to the Aztec time!


Now we have the tortillas in New England, where can I find good Mexican food.  Ok good Mexican food is spreading to the East coast, New York city is a prime example.  But Boston and New England needs to catch up. I am tired of Americanized Mexican food, where are the pablanos, pulled pork, pickled onions, homemade tamales? 

The taco truck is wonderful but how about a stationary restaurant that has the gourmet and fun setting of a New York hot spot, where music, tequila and good Mexican food work in harmony and everyone leaves happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment